What are bed bugs? Beg bugs are reddish-brown wingless small flat insects that suck the blood of humans and animals when they sleep. The cleanliness does not influence their presence in a place, and you can obtain them from anywhere. What happens after a bed bug bites? If a bed bug bites, it draws blood […]
Bed bugs. The words can send chills up our spines. If you have had them, you understand. If you have never had them, you’ve heard the stories. If you currently have them, you need to get rid of them now. But bed bugs are stubborn little things. Cleaning alone won’t rid you of them; you may need professional exterminators. Whether you and your family act as your own bed bugs exterminators or if you get professional exterminators to do the job, you still need to prepare.
Do I need to do anything to prepare before getting rid of bed bugs?
Yes. Preparation is key to full elimination and obtaining control over your home again. Regardless if you are doing it yourself or having a professional bed bugs exterminators do it for you, you need to prepare your home for the extermination.
- Reduce clutter. Do not put stuff from known contaminated areas into another location that may not be infected. Do get rid of cardboard boxes, unwanted magazines, clothes, etc. Place it all in a trash bag, secure it, and throw it away immediately.
- Treat your bed as though a moat is around it. Push bed at least six inches from the walls. Remove all items under the bed; anything you don’t want, throw away, and anything you do want, store in the same room. Make sure there are no bed bugs, eggs or larvae on the bed. Place a bed bug proof mattress cover over it — one with a zipper. Place bed bug interceptors under each leg of the bed and inspect daily — discard any bed bugs in a trash bag and remove from home immediately.
- Clean. Clean. Clean. Again, washing alone won’t eliminate the problem, but it helps prepare you for the elimination. Other cleaning measures to take include: using a hair dryer to treat any clothes, drapes, bedding and other items that can withstand the heat, and then placing treated items in plastic ziploc bags to prevent re-infestation; use a vacuum with a bag, vacuum thoroughly and once done, place bag in another sealable bag and throw in trash outside.
- Destroy all bed bug habitats. Bed bugs love clutter, cracks, crevices loose wallpaper, electrical outlets, among other similar hiding places. Reduce clutter and caulk or seal all cracks, crevices, loose outlets, etc.
- Inspect. The above-preparations, if done well, will get you well on your way to eliminating bed bugs. Sometimes, these measures may be successful alone as a pest control, depending on the infestation. Mostly, however, you’ll need to treat your home with something stronger to ensure all bed bugs are killed.
What do I do to fully eliminate bed bugs from my home?
To complete the process and fully eradicate your home of bed bugs, you will likely need to use a pesticide. Follow the below tips when deciding which pesticide to use.
- Use only EPA-registered pesticides.
- Make sure the label on the pesticide clearly states bed bugs.
- Foggers are usually not successful with bed bugs because the pesticide isn’t directly sprayed into bed bug habitats (e.g. crevices, cracks).
- Desiccants are good as a pest control so long as it is a registered pesticide; pool or food grade desiccants will not be strong enough.
If you follow these instructions and utilize the tips for elimination, your home should soon be clean and clear of bed bugs. The process may be long and tedious, but the result will be well worth it: no more infestation.
The bed bug is an annoying pest that feeds on the blood of humans. These unsightly bugs are difficult to get rid of, so a DIY project is out of the question. Read on for more information about bed bugs and professional bed bug extermination cost.
Bed Bug Extermination Cost
The bed bug extermination cost in Queens average ranges between $500 and $1000. The final price of the extermination depends on the professional’s experience if they are licensed, and the methods that are used. A full bed bug extermination will cost more than a partial extermination because more ground needs to be covered. In the event, you have a bed bug problem it is best to have a full-service extermination performed to ensure your home is bed-bug free.
Bed Bug Extermination Methods
Physical and chemical are the two bed bug extermination methods. The physical methods include all methods of getting rid of these pests that do not include chemicals. In some instances, special vacuums are used to capture bed bugs, so they have no way of getting out, relocating, and reproducing in your home. Bed bugs that are found on surfaces of the home are easier to notice and can be removed by using a special clear tape or a lint roller-like tool that has an extra sticky adhesive tape that traps bed bugs. Bed bugs found on or in bedding can be resolved by placing all bedding in the dryer using high heat for a minimum of 30 minutes. The high heat from the dryer will kill bed bugs and their eggs. The chemical method of removing bed bugs involve using pesticides. Standard chemical extermination methods include using bug foggers and structural fumigation. Bug foggers are often referred to as total release foggers. To ensure favorable results are rendered, use the foggers as directed. Most bug foggers use strong chemicals that require you to cover your belongings and leave your home for a few hours.
Preventing Bed Bugs from Entering Your Home
Here are simple and easy ways you can keep these critters from entering your home and taking over.
1. Never bring outside furniture into your home. It may be tempting to furnish your home or apartment with furniture that appears to be in good condition, but it’s outside on the curb for a reason. Sometimes there isn’t a DIY project for furniture that is worth living with bed bugs.
2. You may be a fan of renting furniture or you may have been given a furniture set. In any event, you may want to think twice before you do either of these things. Before you bring furniture of this type into your home, thoroughly check it for bed bugs and other issues.
3. It’s easy to become a victim of bed bugs when you’re traveling. Do not place suitcases on the floor or bed. Before you leave the hotel or place of residence while on vacation, check your bags and the room thoroughly.
4. Every home has cracks, spaces, and gaps which make it easy for bed bugs to enter and infest a home. Cracks, gaps, and spaces can be sealed successfully by using caulk. You may not be able to locate every space and crack, but the more you find and seal, the better chance you have of keeping a bed bug free home.
It is always in the best interest of your safety and well-being of your family and home to hire a professional exterminator. These professionals have special tools and the knowledge to remove bed bugs safely from the perimeter without causing expensive damages.
An infestation of bed bugs is one of the most widespread household problems in Brooklyn, New York City. It can be irritating, a sign that you’ve completely ignore on cleaning your house for awhile and might lead into skin diseases and problems. Bed bugs are tiny brownish insects that have the capability to live in human even animal’s blood. These insects cannot fly, but they can move from your floors to your wall and ceilings if you don’t clean your house regularly. They rapidly increase in population as female bed bugs lay hundreds of eggs.
These insects can invade your household in an instant. They can increase their population through a dirty luggage, clothes, bed sheets that had never been washed and the corners of your couches. Because of their relatively flat bodies, they can easily hide themselves along corners and can’t be easily spotted. Unlike any other insects such as ants and bees, bed bugs do not build a nest. They usually live in groups and their favorite spot to hide is usually the mattresses, bed frames and headboards where they can easily have access to human blood every night when you go to sleep.
If you’re worried about these pests infesting your house, here are some tips you could consider in order to get rid of these parasites.
You need to find where the bed bug resides inside your house. You can dismantle the bed and move the furniture away to find the insects themselves. Check the cracks and crevices of bed frames because they can easily fit in there and most likely to hide in that spot. However, if you want to get rid of them completely, you may have to purchase a new mattress and discard the other one. If you want to save money from buying another mattress, you can simply place a bed bug proof mattress cover to trap the insects inside and eventually starve them until they die. But starving bed bugs can take up to 400 days, you may want to keep you mattress sealed until then.
You can also check the nightstands and side tables. They are most likely found in cracks and also in sofas especially when it is used for sleeping. They could just be hiding in the seams, and crevices underneath the cushion.
Bed bugs also hide in dirty clothes and laundry so you might as well wash those clothes thoroughly that are gathering dusts inside your cabinet.
After you’ve checked all the major hotspots they could possibly be hiding, it’s time for treatment. If you can, follow an integrated pest management approach. In that way, you can monitor bed bugs and practice preventive measures, sanitation and other ways of killing these parasites.
You could also steam bed bugs. Visit your local hardware store and purchase a device that is capable of generating steam. Apply steams thoroughly on all corners and possible spots that they are hiding to kill them all as well as their eggs.
Try to vacuum your house. In that way, you can easily terminate bed bugs residing in your walls, carpets
and other surfaces. Pay attention to every corner of the house and when you’re done, put the vacuum content on a sealed trashcan.
You can also use insecticides. You can purchase an aerosol pesticide and spray them to the cracks and crevices on your wall, mattresses and even doorframes. You should repeat this application for at least 14 days to thoroughly get rid of them all.
If you think you can’t handle it by yourself anymore, call a professional pest control firm. They can help you get rid of it using up-to-minute technology that kills these pests. There are numerous experienced companies you can hire online and can help you in keeping bed bugs from your house.